ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Help tracking down spurious "Failed 12" errors

2011-08-17 08:52:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Help tracking down spurious "Failed 12" errors
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 08:46:08 -0400
Hi Daniel,

Ah, yes. In the case of system state backup, if you are using client
versions 5.5 or older, or you are using version 6.1.3.0 or older, then yes,
a skipped system state file will cause the return code 12. This is because
it is not simply a case of a single file being missed; rather, the entire
system state backup is no good because a missing system state file means
the system state is not integral. This is a situation the Windows system
owner needs to correct. Ideally the missing file will be reinstated or the
system state metadata corrected to no longer include that file if it does
not belong on the system.

Having said that, we have seen a large number of cases with missing system
state files that resulted in some code changes. Starting with version
6.1.3.1 and higher, as well as 6.2.0.0 and higher, TSM has been modified to
tolerate missing System Writer files (System Writer is the largest portion
of the system state and is the usual source of missing files). You will
still get an error message that says the file is missing, but the system
state backup should otherwise continue, and the RC will be 8 (assuming
there are no further, more severe errors that occurred during the backup).