ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Ghost backups from server-to-server backups

2011-07-29 09:38:00
Subject: [ADSM-L] Ghost backups from server-to-server backups
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 09:32:36 -0400
Back a while ago, one of my smaller servers kept overflowing it's disk LZ
and couldn't access tape drives.  To handle the overload, I setup virtual
volume backups defining a storage pool on another TSM server that had
plenty of disk space.  When the tape drives were accessible, I migrated
these backups to tape.

I was doing some cleanup today and noticed that these backups on the
target server, seem to still exist.  The node defined for virtual volumes
shows 7TB occupancy and lists the ADSM.BFS volumes.

When I go to the original/source server and list *EVERY* volume it knows
about, nothing shows up that is defined to any other server.  The volhist
says these virtual/BFS volumes should have been deleted long ago.

Yes, we run expire inventory daily
Yes, the virtual volume server node is defined with "delete grace perdio
0"
Yes, the node on the target server is defined to allow archive and backup
deletion

So what am I missing?  Why didn't this get purged properly?

Is there anything else I should check before deleting the filespaces on
the target server or is there a better/proper way to sync things up and
purge these backups?

The source server is 5.5 and the target is 6.2, in case this makes a
difference.

Zoltan Forray
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator
Virginia Commonwealth University