ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Need docs for W2008 R2 ASR restore with the 6.2.3 client.

2011-07-28 17:10:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Need docs for W2008 R2 ASR restore with the 6.2.3 client.
From: Robert Clark <robert.clark7 AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:07:23 -0700
Hi Andrew,

In step 5, we're directed to copy the bootmgr to the hidden parition. Do I
get the volid for the hidden partition from MOUNTVOL? It doesn't appear
that we have a hidden partition. (We're using MBR instead of GPT, in case
that matters.)

The specific step is:
copy C:\Windows\BOOT\PCAT\bootmgr
\\?\Volume{8d587603-54e6-11df-803c-0014a4db5a82}\

We're not having any boot problems, so maybe this step is no longer
required?

Reading notes on how to avoid this hidden partition wtih Windows 7, it
appears that it was only 100MB in the RTM release, and has changed to
200MB more recently.

We still have at least one roadblock to fix:

After the "dsmc restore systemstate" and "dsmc restore \\machine_name\c$\*
c:\ -subdir=yes -repl=yes" steps, it appears we have a more or less
successful restore.

But we're only getting one successful restore as Administrator. After the
first logout, the second login is locked out with "Group Policy Client
service failed the logon Access is Denied".

Even with system state and the contents of C:\ restored, it appears the
result varies from the original system we backed up.

One more item: The ASR you mention below, is different from the ASR
referenced in by the client during the restore? The ASR mentioned by the
client is for Windows 2000 systems? ASR in this context (Windows 2008)  is
system state plus some partition related magic?

Thanks,
[RC]