ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NPIV for LAN-free backup of SQL server in VMware

2011-07-27 13:13:06
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NPIV for LAN-free backup of SQL server in VMware
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 19:08:25 +0200
On 27 jul. 2011, at 11:34, Mehdi Salehi wrote:

> Hi
> The question is how to use TDP for SQL in a VMware environment. As the data
> is multi-terabyte, LAN-free is necessary.

1 Gbit/s ethernet can handle 360 GByte/hr, 10 Gb -> 3.6 TB/hr.

> Is NPIV a supported method to present SAN resources to VMware clients? A

It is.

> friend says that tape access is not possible and I wonder if SANergy is
> supported or not.

Tape access in currently unsupported I believe, but it should work.

As for SANergy, I'd recommend you first investigate other solutions. I think
that of all possible SAN filesystems, the design of SANergy is by far the
worst. I'd prefer to use NPIV with tape over SANergy.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl