ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TBMR vs. Acronis and more

2011-07-24 15:16:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TBMR vs. Acronis and more
From: Grigori Solonovitch <Grigori.Solonovitch AT AHLIUNITED DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 22:13:28 +0300
We are using TBMR for a long time. I do not think you will find something
better if you are using TSM Server with installed TSM Clients. Installing very
small TBMR image on each client and using bootable TBMR CD-ROM provide very
simple way of recovery from normal TSM progressive backups (one full backup +
incremental backups forever) including point-in-time recovery.
TBMR is licensed per server and usually each server has dedicated activation
file related to system SID generated after TBMR installation. At the same time,
it is possible to get universal activation file from Cristie having quite big
number of licenses, for example 50+. This activation file is generated for
group of servers and can be applided for mentioned number of servers without
checking system ID.
There is special license policy for VMs in comparison with standalone servers.
Licenses are distributed in packages (one license for 4 VMs) and it is cheaper
than for standalone servers. By the way, there is no possibilty to conver
licenses for standalone servers to VM licenses.