ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] paths going offline from library manager (in this 3 library clients paths are going offline)

2011-07-21 07:36:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] paths going offline from library manager (in this 3 library clients paths are going offline)
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 07:31:16 -0400
We just resolved a problem with tape drive paths for library clients
dropping offline.  We have been rolling over test systems to new servers
which use shared NPIV based HBA's (AIX lpars sharing VIO based hba's).  We
were running v5.4.1 StorageAgents, which turns out don't support NPIV. The
StorageAgent was throwing a errors that it couldn't find the serial number
of the tape drive that the library manager selected for use.  We upgraded
to v5.5.1 and the problem was resolved.

To help figure out the problem you're going to have to piece together a
full view of what's happening.
- rmt paths line up correctly between library manager and library client
- library manager:  hdwr errors (errpt on AIX), TSM errors, Atape errors
(runnig Atape?  in /var/adm/ras)
- library client:  hdwr errors, TSM errors (TSm instance where
StorageAgent is sending msgs), Atape errors.

Someone somewhere is throwing an error  and you need to find it.

Rick