ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DR with replicated data - cannot restore client data

2011-07-20 16:47:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DR with replicated data - cannot restore client data
From: "Schneider, Jim" <jschneider AT USSCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:42:22 -0500
Mike,

I have resolved the problem of restoring with replicated data.

I'm using a Data Domain 880 to host the storage pools using file type
devices, which is replicated to a DD880 at our second/DR data center.

The first issue was file level permissions.  The server that backs up
the data and the DR instance now have the same user name (tsminst1) and
group (tsm).  I no longer need to adjust file permissions every time I
want to run a test.  I'm running on AIX and made sure the uid and gid
are the same on both systems.  This means that the production TSM
instance at the DR location is now owned by tsminst2.  I find this
personally annoying, but I'm the only one bothered by it.

The second issue was that the name of the storage pool volume includes
the absolute path name of the file.  I created an NFS mount point on the
DR server who's name matches the original server's mount point.  I
cleverly called it TSMDD (for Data Domain).

The third issue was that I could only restore from full volumes, not
from filling ones.  I changed all storage volumes to readonly on the DR
instance.  Since it's only a change to the database definition I'm not
affecting the replicated data.

The only issue remaining is figuring out how to access the replicated
VTL data holding the NDMP backups.

Thank you,
Jim Schneider