ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backup specific folder only

2011-07-17 11:12:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backup specific folder only
From: Paul Fielding <paul AT FIELDING DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:58:15 -0600
I would suggest approaching it a different way.  You have to keep in mind
that include/exclude lists are processed from the bottom up.  If you put an
exclude in the list, and put an include below it, the include will override
the exclude.  Additionally, since you're only interested in the E: drive,
you can use the DOMAIN statement to ensure that only that drive gets
touched.  The way I would accomplish what you want is:

DOMAIN E:
Exclude "E:\...\*"
Include  "E:\Oracle\...\*"          3mth_grp2_MC

Because the Domain statement only has the E: drive in it, that's the only
drive that will be touched.  Because the Include line is below the Exclude,
it gets processed first, so the Oracle directory will be backed up even
though the exclude line says to exclude everything.  This should accomplish
what you want.

Note that I didn't use Exclude.dir, this was intentional.  Exclude.dir tells
TSM not to traverse the directory, at all.  Because of this, if I had used
Exclude.dir E:\...\*, then the E: drive would never get traversed, and the
TSM client would never figure out that there was an Oracle directory there
to back up, even though you have the Include statement in place.   In
general I only like to use exclude.dir in a situation where you're
traversing a directory that has so many millions of files that it puts too
big a load on the client to finish in any reasonable amount of time.

All that being said, are you sure you want to only backup the E:\Oracle
directory?  I know lots of people who say "I don't care about the operating
system, if the box craters, I'd rather rebuild it".  This is fine, but what
if you don't crater the whole box, but rather accidentally delete or corrupt
just a few files in the C: drive?  It would really suck to have to rebuild
the box because you can't restore those couple of files.   Some people argue
that backing up the C: drive adds unnecessary bulk to your tape storage.  I
say that the amount of space taken up by the OS in TSM is trivial compared
to the amount of data that generally gets backed up and will not make
any noticeable difference to the bottom line in most cases, therefore I'd
rather have it backed up and not restore it, than not have it backed up when
I need it....

regards,

Paul