ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] snapdiff advice

2011-07-15 13:35:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] snapdiff advice
From: Frank Ramke <ramke AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:31:10 -0400
Hi Paul,

8.0.1 should work.  Ensure the NetApp user id has sufficient capabilities
and that it's password is not expired.

Frank Ramke

From:   Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To:     ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
Date:   07/15/2011 12:10 PM
Subject:        Re: snapdiff advice
Sent by:        "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>

David,

Did you get this working with 8.0.1?  We're getting this error:

>tsm> incremental -snapdiff Y: -diffsnapshot=latest
>
>Incremental by snapshot difference of volume 'Y:'
>ANS2840E Incremental backup using snapshot difference is not supported
for Data
>ONTAP file server version '0.0.0'. Upgrade the file server '10.16.78.101'
to Dat
>a ONTAP version '7.3' or later in order to perform incremental backup
operations
> using snapshot difference.
>ANS2832E Incremental by snapshot difference failed for
\\10.16.78.101\test_cifs.

At 03:41 PM 6/29/2011, David Bronder wrote:
>Clark, Margaret wrote:
>>
>> Back in March, I watched a recorded presentation about DB2 reorgs
>> within TSM server 6.2.2.0, and discovered that OnTap will only allow
>> snapdiff backups to work correctly with releases 7.3.3 and 8.1, NOT
>> 8.0.  Apparently OnTap 7.3.3 and 8.1 contain the File Access Protocol
>> (FAP), but 8.0 does not, so snapdiff would fail.  - Margaret Clark
>
>My understanding is that it's more convoluted than that, but the FAP
>and Unicode support for ONTAP 8 came with version 8.0.1, not 8.1.
>So I should be good to go on my array running 8.0.1P5 with a 6.2.2.0
>or newer TSM client.  (My NFS testing is on an older array at 7.3.2,
>but that should still be OK if there are no Unicode filenames.  Even
>if there were, it should fail in a different way than I'm seeing.)
>
>--
>Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems
Admin
>Segmentation Fault                                      ITS-EI, Univ. of
Iowa
>Core dumped, disk trashed, quota filled, soda warm.
david-bronder AT uiowa DOT edu

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521