ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to manually delete data inside volumes

2011-07-08 14:53:44
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to manually delete data inside volumes
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 14:40:36 -0400
On Jul 8, 2011, at 2:26 PM, Rhuobhe wrote:

> not possible per IBM. in theory you could do a delete volhistory with a date
> but there is on friggin way I am going to risk that.

For perspective: Under ordinary conditions of TSM usage, employment of Delete
Volhistory with a date is common and desirable for pruning old stuff and
reclaiming media.  It's commonly done for TSM database backup tapes (where DRM
is not in play).  The older the data, the less viable it becomes, and the more
desirable to dispose of it.  Export data is, in most cases, transient, where it
is Imported into its new home as soon as possible, where it is subject to
standard safeguards, including multiple assurance copies.  The export media
then become superfluous.  On occasion, Export may be used to create a snapshot
of a node's data, as an out-of-band measure, as in getting a node off your
system but keeping its content around for a while, just in case some
circumstance may require its resurrection.  Again, that constitutes a singular
copy, with attendant risks.

I think those of us who have come to depend upon the date function of Delete
Volhistory have found it reliable.

    Richard Sims