ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Two HSM quesions

2011-06-23 15:26:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Two HSM quesions
From: Paul Fielding <paul AT FIELDING DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:21:08 -0600
On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT gmail DOT
com>
 wrote:

> The trick is that the backup in TSM IS the migrated version of the file, so
> when you migrate you backup.

It's been awhile since I've used HSM on Unix, but (unless something has
changed) I disagree with this statement.

In Unix HSM (which is the only one I've used), migrated files and backed up
files are not the same thing.  a migrated file is still at risk of loss.
 Migrated files use different rules than backed up files, and as such need a
separate backup in order to ensure you're protected.

The most prudent way to do this safely is to ensure that you have TSM set to
require a file be backed up prior to being migrated (set MIGREQUIRESBACKUP
in mgmt class that you're using for HSM).   This defines that a file will
not be migrated until it has previously been backed up.  HSM data is
independent of backup data, can be kept in differing storage pools if
desired, and do indeed take up their own space.

As long as you have this set, and run regular incremental backups, you'll
have a good backup of the data in the event the migrated file gets
deleted/corrupted/lost.   You won't need to worry about the migrated state
of your files - TSM will keep the full file backed up, regardless if it is
resident or migrated.

regards,

Paul

This is different in Windows where a backup and a migrated file are two