ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Deduplication and Collocation

2011-06-22 02:44:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Deduplication and Collocation
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 01:37:12 -0500
Back to client side dedupe, which we're about to deploy for a branch
campus 90 miles away in Rockford IL.

The data is sent from the clients in Rockford via tin cans and string to
the TSM server in Chicago already dedpued. We're using source dedupe
because the network bandwidth is somewhat limited. So if it is received
into a DEVCLASS DISK stgpool, then I assume it is still deduped, because
that's how it arrived. Then finally when it's migrated to tape, we've
already established that it gets reinflated, and then you can collocate
or not as you wish.

But the question is, does this imply that deduped data CAN exist in
random access DEVCLASS DISK stgpools if client-side dedupe is being
used? I sure hope so, because that's what we're planning to do.

========== "You will finish your project ahead of schedule." ===========
================= (Best fortune-cookie fortune ever.) ==================