ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Deduplication and Collocation

2011-06-21 14:20:16
Subject: [ADSM-L] Deduplication and Collocation
From: Mark Mooney <mmooney AT AISCONSULTING DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:17:05 -0700
Hello,

I had a student ask me today "What happens if you have collocation turned on
for a storage pool that you are deduplicating?"  I did not know what to answer
because in my mind I thought "well, if the data is collocated then I need to
have a copy of that data on that client's tape, otherwise I am going to be
mounting another client's tape to get back a de-duped piece of data which would
negate the collocation"

I'm looking at the redbooks for this but I only see 6.1 and in 6.2 they added
client side dedup as well (which I also have questions about)

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!
Mooney