ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] tape encryption in TSM environment

2011-06-13 15:59:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] tape encryption in TSM environment
From: Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:53:50 -0400
Someone here is not willing to bet his career on the reliability of a TSM
server managed encryption key. He reasons that if a key is lost on the TSM
server side of backups, the data could not be recovered, and we would be
accountable. If a client admin loses an encryption key, he is accountable. So
we do not use drive-based encryption, and tell our customers to use
client-based encryption, specifying 'encryptkey save'.

I cannot guarantee that TSM will never lose an application managed encryption
key.  Am I missing something?

With my thanks,
Keith Arbogast