ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Re: VEREXIST for image backups and TDP backups

2011-05-23 20:32:56
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Re: VEREXIST for image backups and TDP backups
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 19:29:11 -0500
Nick Laflamme wrote:

> Keep in mind in all cases, there may be set-up on each client to get
> it all to work correctly. If rman isn't set up with a distinct catalog
> of its backups, you'll get orphaned backups your DBAs will have to
> delete manually. DB2, at least in some releases, is also prone to
> orphaned full backups.

Note that with Oracle RMAN, even if you do use an RMAN catalog database,
you can still get orphaned backups if the DBAs don't make a point of
running RMAN expiration regularly on all the databases they're backing
up.  This can happen because they fail to do so in their RMAN scripts,
or because they lose track of a database here or there.  In our case, I
usually see this with database clones where the clone becomes the new
production using the same SID, and they stop backing up -- and expiring
old bacukps of -- the original instance.

--
Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
Segmentation Fault                                      ITS-EI, Univ. of Iowa