ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] restore question

2011-05-11 12:38:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] restore question
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 16:32:06 +0000
Happens rarely, but I've seen it before.  Freaked me out.

Has to do with how Windows creates the under-the-covers 8.3 DOS file names.
TSM backs up and catalogs the filenames with the long-name version, but when it
restores the file, NTFS will still create the 8.3 filenames by default.

Here's how it can happen:
Suppose you have files called
whoop~1.txt
whoopee2001.txt

If whoopee2001.txt gets restored first (totally by accident), NTFS will create
the short name whoop~1.txt for it. Then when it tries to restore whoop~1.txt,
you get the error message you saw, i.e. a file name clash.  (And as I recall,
the error message may use the long file name, so it's not necessarily apparent
what the problem is.)

You have to have files of just the right names, just the right length names, in
the same directory, and an accident of restore order to make it happen, so you
rarely see it.  (It's most likely to occur in directories where files are
generated by a software package where some developer has brilliantly decided to
use a lot of ~ in the generated filenames, so you may be able to identify
exactly which directory has the issue.)

Simple solutions:

-If it only happens on 1 or 2 files, be confident that TSM is OK, write the
file name down.  After you've finished the big restore, go back and find those
files in TSM and restore them to different directories, then drag them back to
where they belong.

-If it happens a lot and you are nervous about the results, or your restore
needs to run a long time unattended, you can disable Windows NTFS 8.3 name
creation, run your restore, then re-enable the NTFS 8.3 name creation.  (The
downside of that is if you have users that for some reason regularly refer to
the short 8.3 form of the file name -- again most likely program developers --
they may have some patching to do after the restore.)

Here are references that may explain it better and help you determine if this
is your problem.  The MS article has instructions for turning off 8.3 filename
creation:

https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21304777
https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IC45443
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/121007