ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Find Lost Files

2011-05-05 13:36:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Find Lost Files
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 13:24:04 -0400
Brian,
   You may be looking for a file in a directory that has the same name
as a filesystem.

   Assume that /var is a filesystem with a directory named "/var/junk"
and has been backing up for a few years.  Someone comes along and
creates a new filesystem named "/var/junk" and mounts it over the
directory "/var/junk".  Backups continue for some time.  Now someone
wants a file restored from /var/junk when it was a subdirectory in the
/var filesystem.

   In order to restore a file from the FILESYSTEM /var/junk, you would
perform a regular restore.  Since they want a file from the DIRECTORY
/var/junk, you would need to look in the /var filesystem for the
/var/junk directory.  To specify the /var filesystem, you need to
enclose the filesystem variable in the query with braces "query backup
{/var}/junk/lostfile".  If you don't enclose the /var in braces, the
query will run against the /var/junk filesystem and you will never see
the file needing restore.

Cheers,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.