ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape issues with 3584 library

2011-05-04 20:57:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape issues with 3584 library
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 00:52:06 +0000
Answers in line below...

I have a weird situation taking place. I believe there are two distinct issues
but they might be related.  A gripper issue caused a few tapes to be mishandled
and dropped into the library. I ended up checking them out but cannot fix these
issues:

When I run a "show slots 3584lib" there are two anomalies:
Slot 330, status Allocated, element number 1355, barcode not present, barcode
value <>, devT=ANY, mediaT=-1, elemT=ANY Slot 408, status Allocated, element
number 1433, barcode not present, barcode value <>, devT=LTO, mediaT=417,
elemT=ANY

When I log onto the 3584 library web console and display data cartridges I
cannot locate those elements or verify that there are tapes really at those
locations.

If I run a library Audit it fails with a tape device error as it is apparently
attempting to load those "tapes" to verify the label.  However the tape library
itself never attempts to mount a tape as I think it knows there aren't any
tapes at those locations.

How can I fix this issue?
a) In the 3584 web interface, run an INVENTORY (not with audit) against all
frames.  That will cause the library to rescan the barcodes.  The library's
3584 on-board inventory will then be correct.

b) In TSM, run:  audit library yourlibnamehere checklabel=barcode

That causes TSM to upload the inventory from the 3584, so its inventory will
match the 3584's, without loading the tapes to read the internal label.
- the TSM audit will not run if there are other tape processes running
-any tapes that were checked in to TSM but are not actually in the library will
be automatically checked out
-tapes that are in the library but are not checked in to TSM will NOT
automatically be checked in, so you may also need:
1) checkin libv yourlibnamehere search=yes status=scratch checklabel=barcode
wait=0
2) checkin libv yourlibnamehere search=yes status=private checklabel=barcode
wait=0