ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Does Move Data recover space on virtual volumes?

2011-03-10 12:22:13
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Does Move Data recover space on virtual volumes?
From: "Schneider, Jim" <jschneider AT USSCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:21:09 -0600
Keith,

The status after the move is 'EMPTY.'

I have an script that moves data off of 'filling' tapes.  I found that
while the percent utilization in a storage pool might be low, the
percent migratable was high.  Every used volume in a storage pool adds
to % migratable, even if it does not hold much data.  When % migratable
is too high, no data can be written to the storage pool, regardless of
the storage pool's utilization.  I script a 'q vol stgpool=???
st=filling', use that data in a 'q vol' to get utilization, then move
data off of the least full tape.  I have a loop that executes the
process because utilization values change between iterations.  The
volumes are assigned to storage pools, so I guess they aren't scratch,
but they are empty and usable.

Jim