ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How does EXPORT MERGEFILESPACES really work

2011-02-25 14:19:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How does EXPORT MERGEFILESPACES really work
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 19:17:37 +0000
Fromdate/Todate is actually your friend.

Look at the backups you have for this server, and how far back they go.
Try an export with FROMDATE/TODATE that specifies, say, Jan 1- Jan 5 (with
merge=yes).
See how long it runs.
If it doesn't run too long, try more days in the interval the next time.

By doing that repetitively, you can get your exports down to something that
doesn't run so long you have to cancel it.
Rinse and repeat with additional date ranges until you've brought over
everything you need.

With merge =yes, what you get in the target filespace is whatever your mgmt.
class specifies on the target server.
If you bring over more versions than your target mgmt. class allows, they
immediately roll off.  If you accidentally run the same import twice, the
imported backups replace existing ones, without forcing a version rolloff.  (It
works like you want it to).

I've done this before and it works like a champ!