ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Migration, IP address change, and New Library at the same time

2011-02-24 08:28:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Migration, IP address change, and New Library at the same time
From: "Lee, Gary D." <GLEE AT BSU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 08:27:13 -0500
The last time I changed servers, I had our network group change the name of the
current server, then create a dns alias using our usual dns name to point to
the old server.
On the day of the switch, we simply pointed that alias to the new tsm server
and all went smoothly.  I insist that all my tsm clients refer to the server
via dns entry, not ip address.
No one even knew that I had switched servers.

If your servers are "tsmold.co.com" and "tsmnew.co.com"
Have a new dns entry created for tsmold.co.com maybe tsmgone.co.com.
Now remove entry tsmold.co.com, create a new alias tsmold.co.com pointing to
tsmgone.co.com.

When you switch, simply point tsmold.co.com to tsmnew.co.com. If all your
clients use dns entries, they will automagically point to the new server.
If you need to get to the old server, just change the dsm.opt to point at
tsmgone.co.com.
Hope this helps.

Gary Lee
Senior System Programmer