ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How many disk volumes are too many?

2011-02-17 16:03:06
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How many disk volumes are too many?
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT COX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:02:15 -0600
All I can say is what I've observed...

Question #4) TSM looks to preallocate space on and direct new inbound
traffic to a volume not currently in use within a storage pool.  This is why
I try to have as many volumes in a storage pool as I expect concurrent
inbound sessions (within reason).  1 is a really bad idea... I would think
5000 is also a really bad idea... I try to balance between the size of the
inbound files and the number of inbound sessions.  That is, if you have a
big SAP/oracle system pushing 30 GB files at you, having 5 GB volumes is a
little small... Just remember, internally TSM is placing locks and holding
locks as inbound sessions are moving data until the transactions get
committed to the db... so 2 sessions with fighting locks against a single
volume will run slower than 2 sessions each going to their own storage pool
volume holding locks against only those storage pool volumes.