ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM I Series client

2011-02-03 12:40:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM I Series client
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 17:37:56 +0000
Yes.
I have customers who have used it successfully, and customers who have found it
inadequate.
Whether it works for you depends largely on the amount of data per day you have
to deal with.

The code is on the FTP site.
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/tivoli-storage-management/maintenance/client/v5r5/OS400/v553/

It's not a "client" like the windows or Unix client, it's an API for BRMS.
BRMS is a backup product for the I-Series.  The API lets BRMS send data to TSM.

Pros:
*       If the customer is already using BRMS, the setup is very easy.  Follow
instructions in the redbook.
*       You install the API on the I-Series, and that gives BRMS an additional
destination to select for sending data.  Your I-Series folks don't really need
to learn anything new, they still use their BRMS interface, run their BRMS jobs
like always, the data just goes over the network to TSM instead of to local
tape, making their lives easier.
*       Easy way to get your AS400 data to TSM media and rolled into your DR
vaulting scheme.
*       No license required.

Cons:
*       If the customer isn't using BRMS already, it's a steep learning curve
(BRMS may be a $cost item for I-Series, not sure).
*       You can only send "library" data to TSM, the bootable system/OS backup
(sorry I don't know the I-Series name for that) still has to be done to local,
I-Series-readable media - usually a DVD.
*       Speed is the big issue.  There is something funky about the API so that
you get SLOWER than GIGE speed. Dunno why there has been no initiative in
Tivoli to fix that (or if the problem is on the BRMS side).  But plan on it
being relatively slow.

If the customer is doing local backups to 3490-style tape now, switching to
Tivoli will be the same speed or even faster, and it will be a good thing.

If the customer is doing local backups to LTO3-4 tape now, switching to Tivoli
will slow things down.  If there isn't too much data, fine.  You might be able
to deal with it by rescheduling some backups - was able to work it at one
customer by running backups in parallel instead of serially.

If you have less than 400GB per day to back up, you can probably make it work.
More than that, it will probably not be satisfactory.
YMMV