ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Why won't objects show up as expected for Restore?

2011-01-04 16:32:40
Subject: [ADSM-L] Why won't objects show up as expected for Restore?
From: "Huebschman, George J." <gjhuebschman AT LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 16:28:21 -0500
TSM Server:

Server Type.............: AIX-RS/6000;

oslevel - 5.3.0.0

Server Version..........: Ver. 5, Rel. 5, Lev. 1.0

TSM Client:

                      Platform: WinNT

               Client OS Level: 5.02  (Win2k3 R2 SP2)

                Client Version: Version 5, release 5, level 1.0

We had a monthly back miss last night.  It runs from an external
scheduler (Autosys) due to the variability of the date on which it must
run every month.  Since the Client server where the data is does not
have the client for Autosys installed, we have to run the backup from a
second party Client.  An added wrinkle is that the data resides on HP
Polyserve filesystems.

To fix the missed backup, I manually ran the batch script that kicks off
the dsmc -I backups of the filesystems.

That part works.  It will back up data.

The problem is puzzling.  It looks like the data is not there when you
look by doing a Restore or "q backup".  It's there, and if I look enough
I can prove it, but today's backup can not be seen at all from the GUI,
and can only be seen from the command line if a very truncated path is
used.

If I do a "restore -pick -ina" or q backup (even with -su=yes) and
specify the full path to the directory where the files reside (first
example below), I get nothing from today's backup, though I do get files
from last month.

If I cut down the path to what is shown in the second example (or
shorter), I find all the files,

\\TargetClient\c$\MountPoints\PolySrvFS01\SQLDUMP\DB\DBNAME_One\FULL\
<file:///\\TargetClient\c$\MountPoints\PolySrvFS01\SQLDUMP\DB\DBNAME_One
\FULL\>

\\TargetClient\c$\MountPoints\PolySrvFS01\*
<file:///\\TargetClient\c$\MountPoints\PolySrvFS01\*>

My coworker worked this out by mapping the filesystem on scheduler host
and using netuse to mount the filesystem before backup.

Why should that be necessary when the files were backing up (1.12 to
3.25 GB of data) without those extra steps?

Why could we seen them in the command line with extra effort, but not
the GUI at all?

George Huebschman
Storage Support Team, Media Librarian
Legg Mason, LMTS
410 580-7911 (office)
410 522-8581 (mobile)

IMPORTANT:  E-mail sent through the Internet is not secure. Legg Mason
therefore recommends that you do not send any confidential or sensitive
information to us via electronic mail, including social security numbers,
account numbers, or personal identification numbers. Delivery, and or timely
delivery of Internet mail is not guaranteed. Legg Mason therefore recommends
that you do not send time sensitive
or action-oriented messages to us via electronic mail.

This message is intended for the addressee only and may contain privileged or
confidential information. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not
use, copy or disclose to anyone any information contained in this message. If
you have received this message in error, please notify the author by replying
to this message and then kindly delete the message. Thank you.