ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Memory usage issues with "traditional scheduler service" on Windows

2011-01-04 10:21:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Memory usage issues with "traditional scheduler service" on Windows
From: "Huebner,Andy,FORT WORTH,IT" <Andy.Huebner AT ALCONLABS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 09:19:56 -0600
It is in part a cop-out.  Windows may not always reclaim memory from a service
when it shrinks its memory.  Also a service simply may not shrink its memory.
I do not know which is the case here.
We have always used the CAD to stop and start the scheduler as needed to avoid
this problem.  The CAD does not increase its memory usage so it does not suffer
from either problem.
Also, when trending memory usage be sure to track page file usage and free
memory, Windows will page inactive code as needed.  Also, if there is several
GB free your level of urgency may change.

Andy Huebner