ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Copypool storage pool questions

2010-10-22 02:49:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Copypool storage pool questions
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 19:47:56 +1300
Think of it this way Paul. (and please excuse me if I pitch this at too
low a level)

You are trying to create an offsite point of consistency every day.  So,
you run your backups overnight, then copy the data to your copypool.  At
this point you should create a DB backup - I prefer to use the classic
DB backup for onsite recovery and a DB Snapshot for offsite - then eject
the current copypool tapes and the DB snapshot from the library. Finally
create a plan file and get it offsite by your preferred method.

When the meteor hits your primary data centre, you take the offsite
tapes and the plan file to your new hardware.

Unpack the plan file and it will tell you whilch database backup tape to
use.  Restore the database and you are right where you were at your
point of consistency, so all the data from that night's backup is on the
offsite tapes that you have.  Then you can start your client restores
and stgpool restores.

If you don't have some of the copypool tapes then you will not be able
to restore some part of the data. So unless you maintain both an onsite
copypool and an offsite copypool for the same data, you need to eject
all of the copypool tapes every day.

This means that 1 tape per copypool per day will go offsite
part-filled.  When reclamation starts you may see the tape you just sent
offsite get reclaimed.  No matter, the database snapshot that is with
that tape is consistent.

Two other things to watch with reclamation.  If you run offsite
reclamation the "new" way with the reclaim command it will finish after
examining the number of tapes specfied in the offsitereclaimlimit
operand of the command or the same property of the storage pool.  There
is also a bug in 5.5 that affects the selection of offsite volumes for
reclamation.  For these two reasons, I have reverted to the traditional
method of setting and resetting the reclaim property for the storage
pool, as this will restart itself as necessary until all tapes over the
threshold have been reclaimed.

I hope this helps

Steve

Steven Harris