ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Lousy performance on new 6.2.1.1 server with SAN/FILEDEVCLASS storage

2010-10-21 15:07:18
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Lousy performance on new 6.2.1.1 server with SAN/FILEDEVCLASS storage
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:05:42 +0200
On 21 okt 2010, at 20:58, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:

> Thanks for the hint.......using Google is great (which I do), but if you
> don't have a clue what to look for........like a dictionary--you have to
> have some kind of clue/general idea how a word is spelled to be able to
> look it up  ;----)

you're so right.

> I did find a /sys/block/emcpowerb/queue/nr_requests file with 128 in it.

which sounds ok... if that's the queue depth, which I'm guessing it is. And 128
outstanding requests.... you'll never need more. I've recently increased the
queue depth on the HBA while doing some performance testing, and have not
noticed any major impact with the server and the box on the same switch. I
wouldn't bother with that unless some support guy explicitly tells you to do so.

> [...]
> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Date:
> 10/21/2010 02:47 PM
> Re: [ADSM-L] Lousy performance on new 6.2.1.1 server with SAN/FILEDEVCLASS
> storage
> Sent by:
> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>

> Hi all,
>
> YMMV, I've really never played with these, but check
> /sys/block/sdX/queue/nr_requests and some other files in that dir
>
> ow BTW, google is your friend ;-)
>
> On 21 okt 2010, at 19:38, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:
>
>> This is RedHat Linux 5.5
>>

>> From:
>> Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
>> To:
>> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>> Date:
>> 10/21/2010 01:24 PM
>> Re: [ADSM-L] Lousy performance on new 6.2.1.1 server with
> SAN/FILEDEVCLASS
>> storage
>> Sent by:
>> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>>

>> for AIX:
>>
>> lsattr -l hdiskX -> look foor the queue_depth field values between 20
> and
>> 64 make sense, 128 in some extreme cases
>> chdev -l hdiskX -a queue_depth=Y (but only if the vg is off-line)
>>
>> I found that some drives only support a queue_depth of 1... in that
> case,
>> you found your bottleneck.
>>
>> On 21 okt 2010, at 18:57, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:
>>
>>> In reference to these recommendations, this is what one of my SAN folks
>>> said:
>>>
>>> If "increasing the queue depth for the individual disks" is something
>> you
>>> can do on a CLARiiON, it's not something I'm familiar with.  On the HBA
>>> (and if you can), you would do that from the host side (like with
>>> SanSurfer for Qlogic HBAs).
>>>
>>> I have no idea what he might be referring to with "EMC voodoo
>>> application".
>>>
>>> "iostat/vmstat" are unix host utilities.
>>>
>>> Each of the two LUNs is spread out over 7 disks.  The 2 RAID Groups and
>>> the enclosure they are in are dedicated to Tivoli.
>>>
>>> I've seen some references to using lots of smaller LUNs rather than a
>> few
>>> big ones.  You have 2 5.5TB LUNs now.  We can try splitting each of
>> those
>>> into 10-12 smaller LUNs.
>>> Zoltan Forray
>>> TSM Software & Hardware Administrator
>>> Virginia Commonwealth University
>>> UCC/Office of Technology Services
>>> zforray AT vcu DOT edu - 804-828-4807
>>> Don't be a phishing victim - VCU and other reputable organizations will
>>> never use email to request that you reply with your password, social
>>> security number or confidential personal information. For more details
>>> visit http://infosecurity.vcu.edu/phishing.html
>>>

>>> From:
>>> "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LEGGMASON DOT COM>
>>> 10/19/2010 01:50 PM