ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] rotating private tapes into/out of 3584 manually

2010-10-19 19:16:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] rotating private tapes into/out of 3584 manually
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 23:15:32 +0000
When I have to deal with a library that is too small, my favorite technique is
to create a separate tape storage pool for data that consists of big chunks and
 expires regularly by date instead of by version.  That includes things like
Oracle full dumps, AS400 full dumps, NDMP dumps.  Then I eject the primary
tapes for that storage pool and not the storage pool with zillions of
file-level backups.

Because this type of tape data:

a) should expire regularly instead of having to be reclaimed
b) is almost never needed for restores
c) when used for restores, will inconvenience only you and the DBA, and not
your helpdesk or remote users

If you have that sort of data that you can identify, it's a useful strategy.