ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ERROR_STATE for volumes

2010-10-13 08:57:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ERROR_STATE for volumes
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:53:42 -0400
On Oct 13, 2010, at 8:12 AM, Grigori Solonovitch wrote:

> TSM 5.5.4.1 under AIX 5.3-12-01.
>
> Could somebody explain me meaning of ERROR_STATE=YES in table VOLUMES?
> What is relationship between ERROR_STATE and read/write errors for volumes?

Grigori -

My understanding is that ERROR_STATE is set Yes when the volume suffers what is
termed a "permanent I/O error", where retries (as reflected in READ_ERRORS,
WRITE_ERRORS) cannot get by the problem spot on the tape.  At that point the
volume is rendered readonly, and the administrator needs to deal with it.
Sometimes, the problem is just a dirty read/write head on the tape drive.

    Richard Sims