ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Determining devclass FILE values (a.k.a. New Server - Part Deux)

2010-09-22 00:58:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Determining devclass FILE values (a.k.a. New Server - Part Deux)
From: Grigori Solonovitch <Grigori.Solonovitch AT AHLIUNITED DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 07:56:25 +0300
> Just in case I don't completely understand the pros/cons of FILE vs DISK, I
> plan to use this > 5.3TB SAN disk space the same way I am using DISK on my
> other servers - LZ            for  > incoming backups and then migrate to
> disk.    Folks keep talking about reclamation of their > FILE devclass
> storage.     I would never be doing that - just moving the backups to primary
> > tape after making offsite copies          (which I hope to implement as a
> duplex/simultaneous > operation with 6.2.x)

There is a VERY BIG difference between DISK and FILE. DISK device class has
RANDOM access and reclamation is not required at all. FILE device class has
SEQUENTIAL access. File system is used to keep virtual volumes very similar to
tape volumes. Volume status is moving like this: EMPTY --> FILLING --> FULL.
After expiry data usage of full volumes can be reduced from 100 up to 0 (up to
one small file on volume) and this volume will be not available for writing
(totally unused disk space!). Only reclamation can move volume from FULL to
EMPTY and make it available for writing again;

Grigori G. Solonovitch

Senior Technical Architect

Information Technology  Ahli United Bank Kuwait http://www.ahliunited.com.kw

Phone: (+965) 2231-2274  Mobile: (+965) 99798073  E-Mail: Grigori.Solonovitch
AT ahliunited DOT com

Please consider the environment before printing this Email

CONFIDENTIALITY AND WAIVER: The information contained in this electronic mail
message and any attachments hereto may be legally privileged and confidential.
The information is intended only for the recipient(s) named in this message. If
you are not the intended recipient you are notified that any use, disclosure,
copying or distribution is prohibited. If you have received this in error
please contact the sender and delete this message and any attachments from your
computer system. We do not guarantee that this message or any attachment to it
is secure or free from errors, computer viruses or other conditions that may
damage or interfere with data, hardware or software.

Please consider the environment before printing this Email.