ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] backup storage pool seems to run forever

2010-09-03 09:25:22
Subject: [ADSM-L] backup storage pool seems to run forever
From: "Dury, John C." <JDury AT DUQLIGHT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 09:23:44 -0400
We have an AIX server running TSM server v5.5.4.0 that is attached to two tape
libraries, one remote and one local. The tape libraries are both STK SL500
libraries with 4 LTO4 drives in each. The remote library is configured as a
copy storage pool. Several times through the day, we run "backup stgpool" to
backup the local tape library to the remote tape library to try and keep them
in sync using 3 processes. Two of the processes run to completion but the 3rd
process seems to hang. It only backs up 1 file from library to library and then
never progresses any further, even after many many hours. Because it seems to
hang, it ends up pinning the recovery log which just keeps filling up until I
end up cancelling the "backup stg" process which unpins the recovery log.  I've
checked and it doesn't seem to be the same tapes each time. Unfortunately this
seems to happen several times, and often in the middle of the night.
Is there any way to diagnose why the backup storage pool process is
stopping/hanging at 1 file? I don't see any errors anywhere, either in the
activity log or in the tape library. If it at all possible,is there a way to
find the one file that seemingly takes forever to complete. This has been going
on for quite awhile now and pinning the recovery log lead to quite a few other
problems (as I'm sure you all know).
Thanks,
John