ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Data Domain: Data Domain, and SQL-Backtrack with Sybase databases

2010-08-26 14:31:12
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Data Domain: Data Domain, and SQL-Backtrack with Sybase databases
From: Nobody <wcplists1 AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:10:09 -0700
This is a common problem with deduplication, and someone at EMC should have
told you this before you bought.

You should not/cannot run compression on your backups before they get to the
dedupe system.  It messes most of them up.

As to finding someone with your config?  Good luck with that.  Data Domain
VTL, Sybase, and SQL Backtrack are all products with very little market
share.  (Data Domain has good market share, but very few DD customers use
VTL.)  When you combine them together like that, your chances of finding
someone else doing it is slim to none.  Your best bet would be to call the
SQL Backtrack guys and see what they can help you find.

W. Curtis Preston