ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] cancel a session with MediaW

2010-08-18 10:20:44
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] cancel a session with MediaW
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:19:16 -0400
They did change the way this operates after TSM 5.3 although I can't
remember precisely which version.
It was changed by at least 5.5.2
I've noticed processes finishing much more quickly when I cancel them.

For example, if a Migration is working on a big 800GB file and I tried to
cancel the process.  I would have to wait until it finished that file
before.  That doesn't happen anymore and the process cancels immediately
now.
I'm not sure if that directly correlates with this issue as I haven't
canceled a mediaW session in a while.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
RickAdamson AT WINN-DIXIE DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
08/18/2010 09:05 AM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] cancel a session with MediaW

Some time ago I posed this question to IBM and as I understand it their
response was that an active session will not cancel until it complete
its current task. For example, if a process or session has requested a
tape/volume and you issue a command to cancel the session and/or process
TSM will queue your cancel request and wait on the mount to complete. My
understanding is that this is by design to avoid interrupting a task
that could have undesirable consequences.

~Rick