ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Server migration

2010-08-12 15:27:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Server migration
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:26:20 -0400
I know that AIX can't go to Windows with a DB backup/restore, but I seem
to remember that it might be possible to go to another unix, pre-TSM6.
Might be worth looking into considering Linux is an option.

Also, keep in mind that the NAS data will need to continue to live on the
Library Manager.

If you do end up restoring/re-backing up the data, just back it up using
NFS/CIFS to avoid this situation in the future.   I'm currently trying to
get free of NDMP..

Regards,
Shawn

Internet
NBStrand AT LEGGMASON DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
08/12/2010 01:54 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] TSM Server migration

I have a TSM V5.5 server on AIX.  I need to get all of the data to a
Windows or Linux TSM environment on x86.

Export node will work well for everything EXCEPT a NAS node (you have to
really love these little caveats and exceptions).  A backup/restore or
unload/load will probably fail due to big-endian/little-endian
incompatibilities between the architectures.

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting the NAS node data to
the new server?

I am thinking that I will have to do a full restore to a spare NAS
device and then back it all up again.

The current server is idle and the new destination server has yet to be
built so it is wide open regarding linux/windows, TSM V5/V6 - I can
pretty much do what I need to do to get this data moved (goodness knows
that I shouldn't do what I want to do...grrrrr!)

Your comments are appreciated.
Cheers,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.

IMPORTANT:  E-mail sent through the Internet is not secure. Legg Mason
therefore recommends that you do not send any confidential or sensitive
information to us via electronic mail, including social security numbers,
account numbers, or personal identification numbers. Delivery, and or
timely delivery of Internet mail is not guaranteed. Legg Mason therefore
recommends that you do not send time sensitive
or action-oriented messages to us via electronic mail.

This message is intended for the addressee only and may contain privileged
or confidential information. Unless you are the intended recipient, you
may not use, copy or disclose to anyone any information contained in this
message. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
author by replying to this message and then kindly delete the message.
Thank you.

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.