ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] NBU guy in TSM shop and I need help

2010-08-10 14:28:41
Subject: [ADSM-L] NBU guy in TSM shop and I need help
From: ego3456 <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 14:27:48 -0400
thanks to all that responded, I'm aware this is a technical forum, and I'm also
aware it is populated by mostly TSM admins with a bent toward fighting for its
continued use.  to the point of the post however, we have more than one
management class, and more than one policy, I'm just trying to discern what
most of this all means and how one tweak effects another.

I guess the question is more of a governance question than a strategy question
as once i understand the governance i can implement the strategy.

Please know that I'm not new to backup, I've been doing them on an enterprise
level for over 10 years.  I'm only new to TSM and while the responses here have
been very helpful in guiding me to see what each field does, the question has
now been some what mutated to more about how much of a rework is it going to be
to set the course straight, and is it possible at all with the existing
hardware.  if it is a lot of work, then I'm going to rip it out and do what I'm
most familiar with, if it is going to take a significant economic investment,
then I'm going to rip it out and do what I'm familiar with.  if it is a matter
of click here and go, then I'll keep what we have.  My guess is that I'm
ripping it out.  for me, personally i know NBU backwards and forwards, have
several custom scripts, and don't have any issues with backup windows or
network throughput that can see benefit from TSM.

in short, there doesn't seem to be a quick fix for this, and if I'm going to
swim in a murky pool, I'll choose the pool in my back yard over the one down
the street.

Thanks all for your help,

-eric