ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NBU guy in TSM shop and I need help

2010-08-10 14:02:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NBU guy in TSM shop and I need help
From: "Bruce T. Harvey" <bruce.harvey.nonemployee AT PNC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 13:59:32 -0400
There is more to be done here than can be truly provided by a technical
advice forum (you've already seen the pushback by a few people who don't
consider it appropriate to straighten out an entire implementation over
the lists).  They may be right, though it has been done before.

I'd really seek out some expertise for direct involvement with you,
one-on-one.  Most everyone on this list can provide you with a good
advisor/consultant who can help you get your configuration into a position
that doesn't hurt you and is manageable for your current resources.  (I
know Wanda helped me a huge amount!!)

Really, once you're in a good position, where you can breathe, you'll be
able to pick it up.  It is a steep learning curve and a radically
different mindset, but 'incremental forever' is really easy, when you
think about it.  You're only ever doing incrementals.  You just have
copies and retention to figure out, and your consultant will help you
figure that out -- that's their job.

Would everyone be able to provide input as to their favorite people to
contact?  I know mine.

Wanda Prather,  on this list, and she responded to your notes.  She may
not have bandwidth, nor anyone she works with, but she may be able to
direct you to someone who does.

And if your company doesn't want to enlist the aid of a consultant, you
might ask if they want this wonderful software to work properly or to kill
their business.  Probably a bit more gently than that, but essentially
that.

Good luck!

Bruce T.

Bruce T. Harvey
AIX Network Engineer

ego3456 <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
08/10/10 01:08 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu

ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] NBU guy in TSM shop and I need help

wow, so it really is as clear as mud..  :D

my assumption of the retention taking that many tapes was understood by me
to be a function of not only the shelf life (retention) but the
reclamation (no we don't use collocation, which I'm well aware we should)
shotgunning those data bits across a large number of tapes; if all this is
true, without a large increase in tape library capacity (we have 252
slots) or a large increase in disk resources, is there an easy way to fix
it?  If not, I'm inclined to scrap it all and put in NBU for backups going
forward.  saving the argument on which is better, I'm an NBU guy and a
staff of one, and my inclination is if I'm spending buckets of cash, I'm
doing it in a way I'm familiar.  My first whack though is to try and save
this thing so I'm hoping someone out there can provide a panacea or at
least an incremental improvement that is free and time efficient.  am i
spitting in to the wind?

|This was sent by ericgosnell AT gmail DOT com via Backup Central.

The contents of this email are the property of PNC. If it was not addressed to
you, you have no legal right to read it. If you think you received it in error,
please notify the sender. Do not forward or copy without permission of the
sender. This message may contain an advertisement of a product or service and
thus may constitute a commercial electronic mail message under US Law. The
postal address for PNC is 249 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222. If you do not
wish to receive any additional advertising or promotional messages from PNC at
this e-mail address, click here to unsubscribe.