ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] FILE Device class over NFS

2010-08-04 10:32:45
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] FILE Device class over NFS
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:30:19 -0400
I did some NFS testing last year:
=================================
Test 1: I wanted to determine the feasibility of using a Deduplication
device that was NAS attached to the server
Equipment
TSM V6 on AIX6
DataDomain - DDR510
1Gb Ethernet

I was using 2GB File devices on an NFS mount from the DDR as primary
pool
Data Transfer speed was acceptable for testing but was not an objective
of the test.
Deduplication was around 46% for a couple of Windows workstations and
the TSM server.

============================
Test2: Can I run an entire environment on NFS rather than Fiber Channel?
Equipment
TSM V6 on AIX5.3
NetApp 3040 using 250GB SATA drives and deduplication
1Gb Ethernet
2Gb fiber Channel
Test - TSM 5.5 upgrade to V6.1, InsertDB operation for 4GB TSM Database
Fiber Channel = 9122MB/hour
NFS = 7491MB/hour

- The entire TSM environment EXCEPT the binaries & configuration files
were located on NFS.  This allowed for simple and quick DB backup and
recovery using snapshots through the DB2 interface.
- Deduplication of the DB was significant but the small test data set I
was using may not have been representative of an operation environment.

Conclusions:
- NFS may be viable for some environments and may actually be preferable
to local or SAN storage.  The simple protection offered by DB2
integrated snapshots can provide that extra level of protection that
lets you sleep well.
- If you don't have a SAN infrastructure, and don't want to build out a
bunch of local disks, the NFS is easly scalable.
This testing only applied to an AIX environment.
- Deduplication performed on a NAS device is probably superior to the
native deduplication of TSM.  The TSM server does not have to spend CPU
and memory and the TSM database does not have to track it.

I stress again - Wanda's trueism - Your Mileage May Vary. You have to
know your environment and determine what best fits.  I will soon migrate
my V5 environment to a couple of 750GB V6 databases and I am hesitant to
put it all on the bleeding edge.  The library manager might be an
excellent candidate for NFS because of the low data volume but need for
quick recoverability in the event of problems.

Some references I used during this testing:
SNIA "Running Database Applications on NAS: How and Why?" by Stephen
Daniel

http://snia.org/images/tutorial_docs/Applications/StephenDaniel_Running_
Database_Application_NAS.pdf

NetApp TR-3654 - "Planning for the Unplanned: DB2 9 Disaster Recovery
with a NetApp Storage System"
        http://www.netapp.com/us/library/technical-reports/tr-3654.html

NetApp TR-3668 - "Using Integrated Snapshot Backup Feature of IBM DB2
9.5 with NetApp Storage System"
http://www.netapp.com/us/library/technical-reports/tr-3668.html

NetApp TR-3581 - "Performance Study of IBM DB2 9 on AIX 5L With NFS,
ISCSI and FCP using IBM N Series"
        http://www.netapp.com/us/library/technical-reports/tr-3581.html

IBM - "Setup and Configuration of the DB2 Snapshot Backup with IBM
N-Series Storage in an SAP Environment" by Thomas Mattha and Sergiy
Malikov
http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index;jsessionid=(J2EE3417200)ID177681265
0DB11015948196948835748End?rid=/library/uuid/0019590b-658d-2b10-24bd-9c6
882b2b009&overridelayout=true

Cheers,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.