ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Migrate TSM 5 -> 6.x : Windows or Linux

2010-07-19 17:27:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Migrate TSM 5 -> 6.x : Windows or Linux
From: Erwann Simon <erwann.simon AT FREE DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 23:26:23 +0200
Hi David,

If you really want or need to migrate i.e. keep your legacy data without having to export them from your current server to your v6 server, you have to keep your existing platform (i.e. Linux).

Official documentation says :
"Restriction: You cannot upgrade your server to run on an operating system that is different from the operating system it currently runs on. For example, you cannot upgrade a server running on an AIX® system to a server running on a Linux® system."

See :
Hardware and software requirements for the upgraded server :
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tsminfo/v6r2/topic/com.ibm.itsm.srv.upgrd.doc/c_srv_upgrd_hwswreqs.html

See also :
Hardware and software requirements for the V5 server system that is being upgraded :
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tsminfo/v6r2/topic/com.ibm.itsm.srv.upgrd.doc/r_srv_upgrd_v5srv_reqmts.html

Note that only x86_64 distributions are supported (for Intel Architecture), RHEL 5 or SLES 10 or 11.
See :
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&context=SSGSG7&uid=swg21204361

So, more inconvenients than advantages to change from Linux to Windows.

If you decide to go to Windows, Win2k8 (64bits) is advisable as it will be supported during a longer time.

--
Best regards / Cordialement / مع تحياتي
Erwann SIMON