ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 3500 question

2010-07-12 07:32:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 3500 question
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 06:31:25 -0500
On Jul 12, 2010, at 6:22 AM, Mehdi Salehi wrote:

> - Do I still need TCP/IP for library manager commands in 3500? I mean is it
> out of band like 3494?

A 3584 should present a library controller device as well as drives to a client
system once zoned up in a SAN. The smaller 3500s should do the same, but I
won't swear to it. (In AIX, these are /dev/smc# devices.)

An IP connection is still helpful so humans can do operators things at the
library remotely, but it's not necessary for library manager commands.