ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Backup Virtual vFiler?

2010-07-06 05:24:50
Subject: [ADSM-L] Backup Virtual vFiler?
From: Christian Svensson <Christian.Svensson AT CRISTIE DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 11:23:32 +0200
Hi,
I have some questions about NetApp and TSM.

TSM Server: 6.1.3.4 runs on a Windows Server 2008 R2.
OnTap: 7.3.2P6

When I backup my NetApp (vFiler0), I got a speed of 150-180 MB/s as long the
LUN owns by the vFiler0 (main host).
But as soon I try to backup the LUNs that owns by vFiler1-5, I got a speed of
10-50 MB/hour. (vFiler1 - 5 are Virtual Hosts with their own IP address and
NDMP Sessions)

I wonder if anyone else are backing up their NetApp and how you are backing up
your Virtual vFiler with TSM?
NetApp tells me I need to backup the LUN by the vFiler that owns the LUN.
(qtree status -i -v)

I have try to backup all LUN via vFiler0. But as I said I got a bad performance
when it comes to vFiler1 - 5's filespaces.

I have try to setup a unique NODENAME/DATAMOVER for each vFiler. But when I run
the backup, TSM complains their is no Tape drives defined to the Datamover.
When I try to define a PATH to each SAN attach tape drive. TSM can't find
rstXa. And sysconfig -t doesn't work on the vFiler command prompt. (DEFINE PATH
and SYSCONFIG works OK on the vFiler0 only).

I have also try to define a VirtualFS that points to vFilerX and then backup
via vFilerX or vFiler0 (Main host).
The resault ends with failing backup or backup speed with 10-50 MB / hour.

Any ideas how to continue/ideas or how did you setup your backup of Virtual
NetApps?

Best Regards
Christian Svensson

Cell: +46-70-325 1577
E-mail: Christian.Svensson AT cristie DOT se
Skype: cristie.christian.svensson
Supported Platform for CPU2TSM::
http://www.cristie.se/cpu2tsm-supported-platforms