ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Online backup of VMs

2010-07-01 15:45:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Online backup of VMs
From: Grigori Solonovitch <Grigori.Solonovitch AT AHLIUNITED DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 22:43:44 +0300
Hello Mario,
I am testing VMware cluster based on ESXi 4.0 Update 2.
ESXi server itself is very thin and has nothing to backup VMs.
I have tested carefully backup/restore and disaster recovery for VMs based on
TBMR and TSM Client installed on guests.
I was using TBMR 6.3.1 (beta) and TSM Client 6.2.1 (32 and 64 bit):
1) full backup with compression at client site (must heavy backup operation) -
acceptable time and not very heavy load for VMware host and guest. Using
progressive backup strategy (1st backup - full and all others - incremental)
allows to run this type of backup only ones;
2) incremental backups (journal based with compression on client site) - very
short time and no heavy load on host and guest. This type of backup can be done
at any time without any problems (scheduled);
3) usual for TSM perfect restore for files and directories including point in
time restore (command line, GUI or WEB Client);
4) acceptable disaster recovery by TBMR WinPE1 including point in time recovery
- everything very similar to standalone servers. Recovery time for standard VMs
is 10 -20 minutes. For quite big VM (600,000 files) - around 90 minutes.
TSM licensing is standard PVU based for VMware hosts (depends on number of
cores on host and does not depend on number of VMs).
TBMR licensing is by VMpacks. Each VMpack is for 4 VMs. VMpack has the same
price as one standalone server TBMR license.
Overal result of testing is much better than it was expected. It is a good
option till something better is available (VDR or something else).
Note I was not using image+incrementals backups to speed up recovery.
Kindest regards,
Grigori