ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ANS1357S in a mixed Netware/Linux cluster environment

2010-06-30 09:52:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ANS1357S in a mixed Netware/Linux cluster environment
From: Günther Schwarz <guenther.schwarz AT UNI-HAMBURG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:50:38 +0200
Richard Sims wrote:
Your session hasn't gotten far enough for the problem to be file
issues regarding locale settings. Your problem description doesn't say
exactly what you've been doing, but the sense I get is that you've been
using the same nodename for two different clients, at two different
levels, which is a very bad idea, leading to numerous problems. Don't do
that.

I'm sorry if I did not manage to describe the problem in sufficient detail. It is about NSS cluster volumes in a high availability setup. These volumes do have their their own IP, host as well as nodename and move between cluster servers depending on server load and availability. Backup of cluster volumes is covered by Jason Baseler et al. in 'Using the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Backup-Archive Client in Cluster Environments on UNIX and Linux'.
<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/tz-dw-tz-tsmbackcluster.html>

Cluster environments are an exception to the rule that a TSM nodename should correspond to a single machine. Regular backups of cluster volumes demands that the nodename is used on different hosts. This works well as long as all hosts run the same OS and TSM client version.

My problem is related to the migration from Netware to Linux. For some limited time we will run a mixed cluster where cluster volumes are backed up on Netware or Linux.

What I have been doing so far: I installed the TSM client on the Linux hosts and configured them for the backup of cluster volumes as described in the above document. This works fine as long as the node has not been set up to NTW:UTF-8 on Netware. With a filespace NTW:UTF-8 I get the error message I documented in my previous mail.

Which information might still be required?

best wishes

Günther Schwarz