ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Changing management class wihtout retransferring all data

2010-06-25 11:45:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Changing management class wihtout retransferring all data
From: Wolfgang J Moeller <moeller AT GWDG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:43:34 +0200
Wanda Prather writes:

>[...]
> There is not a way to change the management class for inactive files
> that no longer exist on the hard drive.

More precisely: You can't change the management class _name_.

What you can do (if you have to), is modifying the management class
and copy group having the _name_ that is attached to the files in question
(and displayed by "dsmc query backup").

Best done when the relevant node is in a domain of its own -
which can be had via COPY DOMAIN, UPDATE NODE DOMAIN=,
and re-creating schedules & administrative rights as required.

Sure, by this approach you affect all (inactive, at least)
of the node's files having the same management class -
but often that's much better than having files expire too early.

And be warned that it ain't a pretty sight, and may be utterly confusing
to someone else, when - after such a change - you have a management class
named "2WEEKS" keeping its files for 10 years ... but sure it's possible.

Regards,

        Wolfgang J. Moeller <moeller AT gwdg DOT de>

Tel. +49 551 201-1516 ... not representing ... GWDG, Goettingen, Germany