ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Sharepoint backups and TSM V6

2010-06-25 09:01:39
Subject: [ADSM-L] Sharepoint backups and TSM V6
From: Bill Boyer <bjdboyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:00:39 -0400
I have a client that just upgraded to TSM 6.1 and is moving forward to
implement deduplication in their new DS5300 subsystem. They also do
Sharepoint backups using the DocAve IBM branded TDP agent. They have been
working to resolve some issues for quite some time, but in the last call to
their support the client was told that "it doesn't support de-duplicated
data in TSM." How can that be? And why would they care where in TSM I put
the backup data as long as I can give it back when asked for it. I like the
analogy I just read that TSM is a "cloud". The client send the data to TSM
with the guarantee to get it back when the client requests it. Where it
resides once it's in the TSM "cloud", the client doesn't/shouldn't care. At
least for >12-years that's the way I've always thought of it.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain." - ??

Bill Boyer