ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Large fileserver on VMware design questions

2010-06-23 20:26:50
Subject: [ADSM-L] Large fileserver on VMware design questions
From: Steve Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 20:25:46 -0400
Hi gang

One of my customers is implementing a consolidated fileserver.

This will run in a two way MSCS Cluster.  At the moment they are looking at
one big filesystem though I will strenuously attempt to dissuade them from
that course.

Each machine in the cluster is a VM based on a different VMware physical
server, running windows 2008 r2 64 bit. TSM client will run on the VMs.

My proposed strategy is:

- Daily incremental.  With journalling. Standard cluster setup with one
scheduler for each machine and one for the cluster resource.  Journal
database resides on the cluster disk.
- Weekly VCB image of the cluster disk(s) to enable fast restore after disk
failure.
- Monthly incremental. Since journalling can't be used on more than one
node-name, the monthly incremental will take days and is run by a separate
scheduler in the cluster as follows:-
-- VSS snapshot of the cluster disk is mounted
-- backup is taken
-- snapshot is deleted.
-- NB VSS snaphots are machine-specific so a failover kills this

Questions
- Most changing documents are word/excel/powerpoint. Is subfile backup a
good fit here on the daily client? What about overhead?
- How does one handle the possibility of failover when taking the VCB
image? The volume may be mounted on the other VM
- can anybody help with scripts for the monthly VSS snapshot backup?

Other than the one large filesystem issue is there any obvious flaw in my
strategy?

TSM Server is 5.5,  I will install the 6.2.1 client but this server won't
be upgraded for a while.

Thanks for your input

Steve.

Steven Harris