ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Windows 2003 Device Driver

2010-06-23 08:04:14
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Windows 2003 Device Driver
From: Neil Schofield <neil.schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:02:30 +0100
Mark

I believe the behaviour you're seeing is by design. IBM chose a number
that was larger than the expected maximum number of tape drives. The
actual number chosen as the seed for the persistent tape names is 4801101
because it's hex equivalent is 0x49424d, and this in turn is the ASCII
codes for IBM strung together.

More of an in-joke among the device driver developers than anything more
complex, I suspect.

Regards
Neil

Find out how our new character Numptee is causing all sorts of
problems by putting the wrong things down his toilet and drains -
check out his videos and look at what you can do to help keep your
drains running free.

Visit http://www.yorkshirewater.com/binit

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be
legally privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only
and are subject to the legal notice available at
http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm Yorkshire Water Services
Limited Registered Office Western House Halifax Road Bradford BD6
2SZ Registered in England and Wales No 2366682