ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Linux Server/OS/lin_tape question/issue

2010-06-21 10:34:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Linux Server/OS/lin_tape question/issue
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 10:31:52 -0400
We have been all through the zoning side of the equation.  SAN folks say
we are using port-zoning for the tape drives.

Seems to be related to either the QLogic driver or OS level.  New servers
at RH5 see everything just fine.  The older RH4 servers that can't see
more than 14-drives also use older/different  QLogic drivers.

We took an old test RH4 server and did an upgrade-in-place from 4.7 to
5.3.  Now it couldn't see any tapes at all and lin_tape wouldn't work
since it is now rpmbuild/kernel dependent.  Rebuilt lin_tape but then it
couldn't see any SAN devices due to issues with the QLogic drivers.

Finally, after futzing with this box for a week, we decided to just nuke
it and install 5.3 clean/virgin.  Now it sees all 15 drives.

However, I can't just nuke 3-production servers, especially considering
that one is my primary Notes backup server and is always running at 100%
trying to keep up with incremental/selective/transaction log backups, thus
the need to determine exactly where the problem is.
Zoltan Forray
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator
Virginia Commonwealth University
UCC/Office of Technology Services