ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM 6.2 server Solaris installation notes

2010-06-16 20:26:29
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.2 server Solaris installation notes
From: Steve Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:25:47 -0400
Hi All

I'm just dropping this note here for the next fellow that comes along.

Installing TSM 6.2.0.0 Server on Solaris 10 X86_64 (AMD)

I went to TSM support to find out which filesystem to use for the DB since
there are two free choices and UFS is a known poor performer. Previously we
have always used raw volumes.  They advised that either was supported and
that anything more than that would have to be taken up as a consulting job.
 So, I decided to go with ZFS.

It turns out that DB2 expects to be able to do direct IO, but ZFS does not
support that.  This caused errors when writing to the DB

The fix is to change the FS_CACHING parameter on the tablespaces as follows

Become the instance owner
connect to database
query catalog to get FS_CACHING setting
Change all FS_CACHING=1 to 0
restart TSM

my log ....

bash-3.00$ id
uid=205(tsminst1) gid=200(tsm)
bash-3.00$ db2 connect to tsmdb1

   Database Connection Information

 Database server        = DB2/SUNX8664 9.7.1
 SQL authorization ID   = TSMINST1
 Local database alias   = TSMDB1

bash-3.00$ db2 "SELECT substr(TBSP_NAME,1,40) as TBSP_NAME, TBSP_TYPE,
TBSP_CONTENT_TYPE, FS_CACHING FROM TABLE(SNAP_GET_TBSP(CAST(NULL AS
VARCHAR(1)),-1)) AS T" | tee sel.txt

TBSP_NAME                                TBSP_TYPE TBSP_CONTENT_TYPE
FS_CACHING
---------------------------------------- --------- -----------------
----------
SYSCATSPACE                                      0                 0
  1
TEMPSPACE1                                       1                 2
  0
USERSPACE1                                       0                 1
  1
TSMTEMP                                          1                 3
  0
IDXSPACE1                                        0                 1
  1
LARGESPACE1                                      0                 1
  1
LARGEIDXSPACE1                                   0                 1
  1
LGTMPTSP                                         1                 2
  0
SYSTOOLSPACE                                     0                 1
  1
SYSTOOLSTMPSPACE                                 1                 3
  0

  10 record(s) selected.

bash-3.00$ awk '$4==1 {print "db2 alter tablespace",$1,"file system
caching"}' sel.txt | tee alter_tbs.sh
db2 alter tablespace SYSCATSPACE file system caching
db2 alter tablespace USERSPACE1 file system caching
db2 alter tablespace IDXSPACE1 file system caching
db2 alter tablespace LARGESPACE1 file system caching
db2 alter tablespace LARGEIDXSPACE1 file system caching
db2 alter tablespace SYSTOOLSPACE file system caching
bash-3.00$ . alter_tbs.sh
DB20000I  The SQL command completed successfully.
[...]

Also note that 12GB is not enough virtual memory to run a library manager
with minimal configuration.
I have 8GB of real and 4GB of swap on this zone and am running out of swap
space.

I have another zone with the library client instance. It has a lot of
definitions but only two real clients, both user workstations. it is using
16GB of real and 42% of its 16GB of swap.

The old rule of thumb swap=2xreal may apply here.

Regards

Steve.

Steven Harris
TSM Admin,