ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Questions about vtl useage

2010-06-14 09:30:14
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Questions about vtl useage
From: "Huebner,Andy,FORT WORTH,IT" <Andy.Huebner AT ALCONLABS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 08:28:43 -0500
We currently use an older VTL for the primary pools and you might find it hard
to tell the difference between it and disks.  With the deduping VTLs out there
the amount of storage needed will be reduced.  Pick carefully if you go the
dedup route.  There are major speed differences depending on in-line vs. post
processing.
Check the archives, there are plenty of threads on collocation and cartridge
size when using a VTL.

We are using 4 year old FalconStor VTLs with about 300TB stored. 2 crashes, no
other trouble. We do use slightly undersized disk pools to frontend the VTLs.

Andy Huebner