ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] convert standalone server to library client?

2010-06-09 15:38:09
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] convert standalone server to library client?
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 21:36:36 +0200
On 9 jun 2010, at 21:11, Keith Arbogast wrote:

> Can a standalone TSM server be re-configured to be a Library Client?  We are
> not using library sharing on our 3584 ATLs now. Our TSM servers are at
> version 5.5.4.1 on RHEL 5.
>
> We have server to server communications setup between two Data Centers. So,
> the offsite Copypools are on the local 3584. Offsite database backups are
> also written to the onsite ATL.
>
> My purpose in converting the standalone server to a Library Client would be
> to use library sharing in a Disaster Recovery. One Library Client would be
> the current onsite server. The other Library Client would be a standby clone
> of the offsite TSM server. Ordinarily, it would not be running. If the
> offsite Data Center were lost, I could restore the database of the offsite
> server to the second onsite library client.Then, it could share the local
> tape drives to restore offsite clients rebuilt locally.
>
> The stumbling block seems to be that tape volumes must be checked-in to the
> Library Manager. There already are several hundred tape volumes in private
> status on both standalone servers. How would I tell a new Library Manager
> that those tape volumes were owned by the new Library Client?

client1:select 'checkin libv sharedlib', volume_name, 'stat=priv owner=client1
checkl=b waitt=0' from libvolumes where status='Private' > client1privlist.mac
client1:select volume_name from libvolumes where status='Scratch' >
client1scratchlist
client1:checkout libv dedicated voll=file:client1privlist remove=b
client1,client2:checkout libv dedicated voll=file:client1scratchlist remove=b
client2:select 'checkin libv sharedlib', volume_name, 'stat=priv owner=client1
checkl=b waitt=0' from libvolumes where status='Private' > client2privlist.mac
client2:select volume_name from libvolumes where status='Scratch' >
client2scratchlist
client2:checkout libv dedicated voll=file:client2privlist remove=b
client2:checkout libv voll=file:client1scratchlist remove=b

reassign all of your volumes to the new lib, or whatever you do
edit both .mac files to remove all garbage and you have valid checkin commands

lm:macro client1privlist.mac
lm:macro client2privlist.mac
lm:checkin libv sharedlib voll=file:client1scratchlist checkl=b stat=scr waitt=0
lm:checkin libv sharedlib voll=file:client2scratchlist checkl=b stat=scr waitt=0

roughly. the selects that generate the macros might need some tweaking.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl